#JACKIEATS | AOZORA Japanese Cafe + Bistro: Tagaytay's Hidden Heaven



AOZORA, which translates to "Blue Sky," provides a heavenly authentic Japanese dining experience complemented by stunning views of Taal Lake. It's the perfect spot for an exceptional meal with friends, family, or a special someone at Domicillo Design Hotel in Tagaytay. Experience the finest Japanese cuisine against a heavenly backdrop. 

If you want to check out their menu and other photos visit my Flickr album  HERE.


I was a bit concerned about finding the place, as it was my first time using public transport again. Thanks to my friend and Google Maps, I got clear directions. From SM Bacoor, take a bus to Batangas, alight at the Shell gas station near Lake Hotel, cross the street, and walk to Domicillo/Aozora's large black sign. Follow signs to Aozora, and you'll find it atop the hotel with breathtaking views.

COMMUTE 101: From SM Bacoor, ride a Bus going to Batangas so that it will pass to the shell gasoline station (where 2 roads separate since it is on the other side which the bus doesn't pass) get off across the Lake Hotel, cross the street to Lake hotel walk past right (fronting the hotel) till you see Domicillo/Aozora black signage (picture above). Then walk to the parking, find signs of Aozora, and there it is atop the hotel with an amazing view.



THE VIEW: For a refreshing Tagaytay experience, head to the alfresco area with a cool breeze and breathtaking views of Taal Lake and the lush rainforest.


The place exuded an industrial Japanese vibe, complemented by the soothing sounds of Japanese instrumental music plus, the kimono dresses of the staff added a charming touch to the ambiance.



THE FOOD: The restaurant emphasizes its authentic Japanese cooking style, with Chef Seiji Kamura and two Filipino chefs ensuring that most ingredients are genuinely Japanese.

The Dragon Maki (P350), their signature dish, was a first for me. I'm not usually a Maki fan, but I took a bite for the sake of the review. To my surprise, I loved it! I could taste every element—the burst of fish roe, the crunch of tempura, the seaweed, and the mayo—all perfectly balanced.

Excitingly, I had the chance to savor their Ebi Tempura (P270/3pcs, P390/5pcs), my all-time favorite in Japanese restaurants. These prawns are delicately coated in tempura batter and fried to perfection, resulting in a satisfying light and crispy texture. I especially appreciate the generous portion of high-quality, delightfully large prawns.

The Aozora Fried Rice (P250), suitable for two, boasted rich flavors and generous toppings.

The Sukiyaki (P590, good for two) left a remarkable impression; it's one of the best I've ever tasted. The well-balanced sweetness and saltiness of the broth enhanced the richness of the tender beef and noodles. Kudos to Ms. Christine Villongco, one of the owners, who kindly reheated it for me. šŸ˜Š
Also, the staff were very accommodating. šŸ‘

Indulge in the ultimate comfort food in Tagaytay's cold weather calls for a heartwarming bowl of Bulalo, and Aozora has brilliantly combined this Filipino Beef Marrow Stew with Japanese Ramen to create Aozora Ramen (P320). Ideal for 2-3 diners, but a hearty appetite could tackle it solo. They even serve it with a flame beneath to keep it piping hot amidst the chilly ambiance. Kudos to Ms. Christine for the fantastic suggestion! šŸ˜Š

I opted for the safe choice with a Yellow Mango Shake (P130). It was refreshing and your typical mango shake. However, I regretted not choosing the Green Tea Shake when I saw it on the menu.

I wish I could have tasted these dishes (photos below), but right after snapping a picture, they mysteriously vanished before my very eyes. So fast and hungry!
If I'm not mistaken, this is a Tonkatsu (P290).

This is the Chicken Teriyaki Don (P290), and it truly looks divine. I definitely need to try this on my next visit.

Tempura Fried Ice Cream
This one also vanished in a matter of seconds. I'll have to give it a try on my next visit to see if it is as nice as it looks.


THE GROUP: Special thanks to Aldous, the sole guy, for the event invitation. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and getting to know new faces, and I look forward to possibly crossing paths with them again. The experience was enjoyable, albeit brief and straightforward. 
Oh, by the way, I was the girl in the far corner savoring a hearty bowl of ramen. Hihi!

A photo with the lovely and incredibly accommodating owner of Aozora, Ms. Christine Arriola-Villongco. It was a privilege to meet her.

The variety of dishes on their menu is truly impressive and well-conceived. I noticed several unique items that have already caught my attention, and I'm eagerly looking forward to returning, particularly to make the most of the discount card generously provided by Ms. Christine.



AOZORA Japanese Cafe + Bistro
Domicillo Hotel,  Km. 58 Gen. E Aguinaldo Highway, 
Tagaytay City, Cavite, Philippines (Relocated to a new location)
Operating Hours: Mon-Sun: 7:00 am-10: 00 pm
Nos contact: 09063501704; 0464134486; 09155038800
Email address: chitsarriola@yahoo.com.ph
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/aozorajapanese

Comments

Popular Posts