#JACREATES | Okonomiyaki My Style! (JapPancake DIY)

Once I have tasted it before--while having a lunch break at a canteen near the office--I immediately fell in love with it. Though, I already made it on my bucket list when I get to visit Japan. SOON!
Here in the Philippines, there are few stores that serve Okonomiyaki and if you're residing in my area, Cavite, there are very rare to none. If you know a store that sells this please do tell me in the comments section below, will really appreciate it!
I put crushed potato chips on mine :)
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese pancake in which there are lots of varieties/versions in different places in Japan, like in Hiroshima they put in noodles and eggs. Others have shrimp or oyster or cheese. But mostly whatever topping you like may do. Isn't it exciting??

Okay, so let's start Okonomizing!

Ingredients I Used:

2 cups Flour (Self-rising or Cake flour will do)
1/2 tsp Baking soda (no need to put it if you're using cake/self-rising flour)
1/2 of large Cabbage
2 cups water or chicken stock
2-3 eggs
1 tsp dashi powder if you don't have chicken stock
Bacon
Spring Onion
Okonomi Sauce*
Mayonnaise
Bonito Flakes (optional) haven't been put into mine 'cause it's hard to find in the Philippines.


How to:

1. Chop cabbage finely.

chopped Cabbage & Spring Onion
2. Mix flour, water with dashi or chicken stock, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.  Mix in dry ingredients spring onions and cabbage, and mix well. 
Flour. egg, water mixture       With Cabbage & spring onion

3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan.  Spoon Cabbage mix into the frying pan and formed it into a circle. Make sure there's enough batter to hold it together. Push in the edges of any cabbage or batter that's sticking out.


4. Put bacon on top while the bottom is still cooking

5. Cook on medium heat until browned then flip the other side and wait until browned. 
6. Spread the Okonomi sauce then mayonnaise on your desired design.


Design your Okonomiyaki

Very easy peasy, right?

Homemade Okonomi Sauce
*I had to make my own Okonomi sauce which is very rare to find in the Philippines as well. I found it on this site:  http://www.littlejapanmama.com/2011/10/okonomiyaki-recipe-with-endless.html. It's a really big help. It tastes more or less the same for me.

Here's the recipe:
(Feel free to adjust the measurement depending on your preference)
1tbsp Ketchup
2tbsp Barbeque sauce
1 tbsp Soy sauce
dash of Worcestershire sauce
sugar


So try to make your own version now! Don't forget to let me know or ask questions if you have any.
`Till the next #jacreates!

Comments

Popular Posts